(SD)-One Dead, 2 Hospitalized In SD From Methanol-Based Hand Sanitizer
PIERRE, S.D. (AP) - South Dakota health officials say one person has died and 2 other are hospitalized after using hand sanitizers made with methanol instead of denatured alcohol.
The federal Food and Drug Administration had issued a warning earlier this summer about several methanol-based hand sanitizers, but the issue received very little attention until recently.
State Epidemiologist Joshua Clayton says South Dakota's 3 cases had all ingested or drank the hand sanitizer solution. He's urging people to check their hand sanitizers and to throw away any containing methanol.
Back to News
Printer Friendly Version
Send Story to a friend.