71° F
Current Conditions
Radio Station Info Staff Advertising Job Opportunities Contact Us
 

Listen Live



KCSR EEO Report
KBPY EEO Report
KCSR Public File
KBPY Public File

(SD)-Attendance Up For First 3 Days Of Sturgis Rally

By: John Axtell Posted at: 08/06/2019 09:11 AM
STURGIS, S.D. - Attendance was up for the first 3 days of the 79th annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, based on traffic counts at 9 locations entering Sturgis, was 161,696 - an increase of 3.3% from last year.

       Friday's opening day attendance was 51,933 for an increase of 5.1%, Saturday was down a little under 1% at 59,759 while Sunday's total of 55,325 was up 6.1% from last year's first Sunday.

        The Transportation Dept warns that the count from one of the 9 sites couldn't be picked up today, so an estimate was made for it. That mean's the Sunday total could change slightly when the estimate is replaced by the actual total.

       The Rally remains a little safer than last year. The South Dakota Highway Patrol says there were 13 non-injury accidents over the first 3 days, 1 less than last year, with 12 injury accidents and no deaths. There were also 12 injury accidents for the first 3 days last year, but they resulted in 2 fatalities.

       There have been 51 DUI arrests, 15 more than a year ago, with the number of both felony and misdemeanor drug arrests also up. There were 45 felony arrests over the 3 days, more than double last year's 21, and 64 misdemeanors, up 8.

       Officers have issued 400 total citations, a nearly 30% jump, and 1,115 total warning, an increase of 169.


Comments:


Back to News

Printer Friendly Version

Send Story to a friend.