55° F
Current Conditions
Radio Station Info Staff Advertising Job Opportunities Contact Us

Listen Live

KCSR Public File
KBPY Public File

(Neb)-Plea Deal Resolves Oct 2015 Child Abuse Case

By: John Axtell Posted at: 03/13/2019 10:48 PM
CHADRON - A plea agreement has resolved a 3-1/2 year old Dawes County child abuse case. 25-year old Jessica Cuny was scheduled for trial last Wednesday before reaching an agreement with Assistant Nebraska Attorney General Doug Warner, acting as prosecutor.

     Cuny pleaded No Contest to one count of 3rd-degree child abuse intentionally causing injury with the state droping a county of 1st-degree assault. A pre-sentence investigation was ordered and sentencing scheduled for May 7th. Cuny remains in jail on $50,000 bail.

      The case against Cuny began in October 2015 when she brought her 10-month old daughter to Chadron Community Hospital with injuries she said apparently occurred when the infant had fallen off the bed after an early morning bottle and hit a table. - although she didn't appear injured until later in the morning.

     After examination, the baby was flown to Denver Children's Hospital where doctors diagnosed multiple serious injuries they concluded were inconsistent with Cuny's story but could have been the result of child abuse. That triggered an investigation by Chadron police.

     Court records show the stories given by Cuny and her boyfriend over the course of interviews, including the boyfriend's initial claim that he'd left the evening before around 7:30. In his later statement, he said he'd watched Cuny's children while she went to a bar and that she'd returned home drunk.

      He said that when the baby began crying, Cuny had slammed the door as she went into the infant's room and that he heard smashing sounds "like something was being thrown into a wall or door. Cuny herself later admitted to investigators that she had been drinking that night, blacked out, and didn't remember what happened.

      Cuny was originally scheduled for trial in 2016, but those charges were dropped when prosecutors decided they needed a stronger case. The investigation continued and Cuny was arrested and arraigned on new charges last October.


Back to News

Printer Friendly Version

Send Story to a friend.