94° F
Current Conditions
Radio Station Info Staff Advertising Job Opportunities Contact Us

Listen Live

KCSR Public File
KBPY Public File

(Neb)-Former Creighton Broadcaster Now "Miracle Man" After Recovery

By: John Axtell Posted at: 01/05/2019 03:28 PM
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - A man whose family had decided to remove his breathing tubes after he showed no improvement following what was believed to be a stroke. has left an Omaha hospital after weeks of therapy. His family members call T. Scott Marr - once nearly brain-dead - the "miracle man."
     Marr, who broadcast Creighton University basketball games for 16 seasons, originally was diagnosed with a stroke on Dec. 12, the day after his 61st birthday, when his son found him lying in bed, unresponsive but breathing

     He was placed on a breathing machine in intensive care, but showed no neurological improvement and was not expected to recover.
       His four children agreed to take him off life support and said their goodbyes, but skipped their appointment with a funeral home the next day and instead went back to the hospital. They found Marr was responsive and when asked by his daughter was able to wiggle his toes and move his thumbs when asked.

       He eventually was diagnosed not with a stroke but with rare and treatable condition called posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome. He's continued to receive speech therapy on an outpatient basis while working on improving his short-term memory and multitasking skills.

      Scott Marr tells the Omaha World-Herald he now tries to "savor every moment" and gives credit to God for allowing him a second chance at life, something he calls "pretty much a miracle."

      "I'm not an extremely religious person. I don't go to church every Sunday," Marr told the newspaper, "But I do believe in God. I believe with all my heart. And now this is just proof for me that everything I've ever heard is true. "That he loves me. That he's right there for me."


Back to News

Printer Friendly Version

Send Story to a friend.