74° F
Current Conditions
Radio Station Info Staff Advertising Job Opportunities Contact Us
 

Listen Live

Click Here To

Sign Our Guest Book


RSS Feed

(Neb)-Cigarette Thrown In Dry Lawn Blamed For Scottsbluff Fire

By: John Axtell Posted at: 08/01/2017 03:18 PM
SCOTTSBLUFF - A carelessly discarded cigarette in a dry front yard is blamed for a Saturday fire that destroyed a home on the west side of Scottsbluff.

     City Fire Marshall Anthony Murphy says he determined after finding cigarette butts in the yard near the front porch and interviewing 3 adults and a child that several people had been outside smoking  approximately 20 minutes before the fire started.

     Murphy says all were inside the home when the fire apparently ignited and quickly spread from the yard to the porch and the front of the house. When the occupants finally noticed the fire, they fled out the back door. None of them had a phone and yelled for neighbors to call 911.

      When firefighters arrived, they said the fire was so hot it threatened neighboring properties, leading them to focus on putting water on the east side of the house to keep it from spreading. Murphy said the fire department helped the occupants salvage photo albums and sentimental items.

       Murphy reminds people to not only be careful with discarded cigarettes, but also have a second entrance to their home that can be used as an exit in such situations.


Comments:


Back to News

Printer Friendly Version

Send Story to a friend.