(Neb.)-Students Encouraged To Take Part In Severe Weather Poster Contest
(REGIONAL)-The springtime severe weather season is quickly approaching, and with it comes the annual 2013 Nebraska Severe Weather Awareness Poster Contest. The contest, sponsored by Nebraska Association of Emergency Management, the National Weather Service and the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency, is part of the annual Severe Weather Awareness Week produced by Emergency Management Directors/Coordinators across the state.
The poster contest is open to all fourth-grade students in Nebraska public and private schools and all home-schooled fourth-grade students. Teachers are encouraged to have students participate while teaching them about the hazards of severe weather in Nebraska.
While not specifically designed to promote tornado awareness, tornadoes are the most common theme chosen for posters. Lightning and flooding, which are also products of severe thunderstorms, are also good topic choices.
The first-place winner in the state contest wins a $125 gift card, the second-place winner receives a $100 gift card, and the third-place winner receives a $75 gift card. The Nebraska Association of Emergency Management provides the first, second, and third place gift card awards. The fourth place poster winner will receive a $50 gift card, sponsored by the National Weather Service. All four winners will also receive a NOAA All-Hazards Weather Alert Radio from the Saline County Emergency Management Agency.
Contest rules are as follows:
1. Poster artists must be a fourth-grade pupil in any Nebraska private, public or home school.
2. Entries must be related to the theme of severe weather safety and will be judged on originality, effort and accuracy. All entries must be on an 11" x 17" sheet of white paper. Any medium may be used (crayon, paint, markers, etc.). Only one entry is allowed per pupil and no joint entries (posters by more than one person) will be accepted.
3. Each school is encouraged to conduct the contest. All entries must be received by the local Emergency Management Director/Coordinator or postmarked on or before Feb. 22, 2013. A list of EM Directors/Coordinators can be found at www.naem.us or www.nema.ne.gov.
4. Each entry MUST INCLUDE student name, age, complete home address, home telephone number, name of school, location of school and school phone number on the back side of the entry.
5. Teachers are encouraged to contact the local emergency management director to assist in the selection of the “top three” entries from their school. If the local director is unavailable or unknown, please contact Mark Meints, poster contest chairman, at 402-223-1305.
6. As first, second, third and fourth-place winners are chosen, all winners will be notified by telephone or mail. The four winners and their parents will be invited to the State Capitol on Tuesday, March 12th at 10:00 a.m. for the presentation of their awards from NAEM and NWS and to be recognized by Nebraska Governor Dave Heineman.
7. Any questions regarding the 2013 Severe Weather Poster Contest should be directed to the local Emergency Management Director/Coordinator or to Mark Meints at 402-223-1305 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Contest rules and other information can also be obtained at the Nebraska Association of Emergency Management Web site at www.naem.us. Poster judging will be conducted on March 1st by the Nebraska Association of Emergency Management and representatives from the National Weather Service and the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency.
--Nebraska Emergency Management Agency
Back to News
Printer Friendly Version
Send Story to a friend.