63.0° F
Current Conditions
Radio Station Info Staff Advertising Job Opportunities Contact Us
 

Listen Live

Click Here To

Sign Our Guest Book


RSS Feed

(Neb.)-State Gun Certificate Requests Surge After Shooting

By: Roxie Graham-Marski Posted at: 12/20/2012 09:06 AM
     LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) - Sheriffs in Nebraska's three largest counties are reporting record requests for firearm certificates in the wake of last week's school shooting in Connecticut.
 
     Officials in Douglas, Sarpy and Lancaster counties said Thursday that they've each recorded single-day highs this week in certificate applications. The certificates are good for three years, and can be used to buy more than one gun.
 
     Douglas County Sheriff Chief Deputy Martin Bilek said his office processed an all-time high of 115 applications on Tuesday, and denied seven other requests. The Sarpy County sheriff's office received about 80 on Tuesday. In Lincoln, Lancaster County Sheriff Terry Wagner said his office received a record of 63 requests on Monday.
 
     Officials say the increases may be driven by fears that the shooting will inspire new gun control laws.


Comments:


Back to News

Printer Friendly Version

Send Story to a friend.